Thin Lens (converging/diverging lens/mirrors)
||trace of light path
||backward tracing for virtual image
|small red lines
||distances f and 2*f away from the center of lens.
||current mouse position (x , y) relative to lens
||perpendicular to the mirror surface (mirror only)
||light path for paraxial ray assumption(mirror only)
Parameters can be changed :
- Select Lens for thin lens effect(default)
- select mirror for concave/convex mirror effect
- default: assume paraxial ray (you can turn it off)
- press toggle button +/- to change between converging/diverging
- Move the object
- click near tip of the object, and drag it to where you like it and
release the mouse button.
- Move the lens/mirror:
- click near center of the lens, and drag it to left or right.
- if click with left mouse button, only lens will move.
- if click with right mouse button, object will move with lens.
- Change the focus length of the lens/mirror
- click near the top/bottom of the lens/mirrir, then drag the mouse .
- if you adjust the size of window, parameters reset to default values.
- you can open more then one window to compare different cases, close
the created window to Quit. Press to
open another Lens window!
- you can change the following parameters inside the "textfield".
Any suggestions? just click my E-mail address email@example.com
Thanks to : Surendranath Reddy.B.,
Tim Mewes, Mathieu.Dubreuil, Kenneth.Holmlund, ... for their valuable suggestions.
Other java applets
Source code for this applet
Last modified :
link to this page