Application Procedures for Graduate Admission
Thermometer Installation Team
previous arrow
next arrow

Deadline for Graduate Application:

Fall Admission: December 1st

Spring Admission: August 1st

The Department of Physics & Astronomy offers three graduate degrees:
  1. Ph.D.
  2. Masters Plan A – a research-based masters.
  3. Masters Plan B – a course-based masters.

Please see for information about each program.

Note that a student pursuing a Ph.D. may also receive a Masters degree as part of the program, provided that they satisfy the Masters Plan B requirements and that they do not already hold a masters degree.

We do not require the GRE for the admission, but you have the option to provide your scores if you have taken them. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for UHM is 4867. We encourage applicants who have taken the GRE to submit their scores.

There are three steps to the application process:
    1. First submit an application to the University of Hawai’i’s Graduate Division including all required materials by following the instructions here:
    2. After this is complete, upload the following additional documents via the Graduate Division Supplemental Material Portal. A video with instructions on how to use this portal can be found here:
      • Cover Sheet
      • A one-page Statement of Objectives Detailing the objectives of your graduate study and your long-term professional goals. Your Statement of Objectives should answer the following questions:
        • What is your motivation for pursuing a Ph.D. In Physics & Astronomy?
        • What is your field of interest?
        • Are there any faculty members you are interested in working with?
        • Why are you applying to the University of Hawai’i?
        • Do you have any previous research experience? If so, please give details.
      Please upload your statement in PDF or Word format and do not use any font size smaller than 11pt. Please ensure that your statement contains your name.
    3. Request a minimum of two letters of recommendation via the Graduate Division Supplemental Material Portal.